Salute, omnes!

J. Chandler's description of Interlingua as a kind of linguistic dinosaur
of the Italo/Latino type is most amusing, but I don't think it's very
accurate.
One should remember that western languages have a lot of words in common,
whether one likes it or not. These words come almost exclusively from a
common latin/grec source and I-a is mainly a systemation of this immense
linguistic corpus with a bare minimum of grammar. To say that I-a is a
simplified Italian is, with all due respect Chandler, nonsense.
If someone doesn't like I-a it's all right to me. Everyone is entiteled to
his opinion.
But if someday an artificial language is chosen as an international
auxiliary language it will surely be I-a, or a language more or less
similar to it - because the international vocabulary is already there, and
there's no need to invent a new one...
If this language looks more like the Romance than like the Germanic
languages that's also because these languages are spoken by more people
than the Germanic ones and the importance of these languages increase by
each day..
Personally I don't think this will ever happen. I think we in the future
will see several dominant languages in different parts of the world - in
Northern Europe it will surely be English - but NOT so in Southern Europe
or Latin America.
Should there in the future be ONE worldwide auxiliary language my bet would
be put on Spanish for sure.
But learning I-a has a lot of other benefits as well...

Sincerely, [log in to unmask]