On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, Kjell Tore Nilssen wrote (excerpt):

> But if someday an artificial language is chosen as an international
> auxiliary language it will surely be I-a, or a language more or less
> similar to it - because the international vocabulary is already there, and
> there's no need to invent a new one...

    Although, with respect to constructed auxiliary languages, I am
more of an Interlinguaist than anything else, I cannot accept this
statement as it stands.  If I understand it correctly, it seems to
imply that the only significant factor for an IAL is "internationality"
of vocabulary.  I do not think that this follows at all.  As much as I
like Interlingua, I am not the first person to observe that it seems to
be much harder to learn to write/speak well than to read well.  Base
vocabularly, in my opinion, is not the only factor of consideration for
an auxiliary language.

Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart