A few days before Christmas, D. Gary Grady in North Carolina sent the
following message out to a group of people he thought might be interested
in it. I have a feeling that at least some members of AUXLANG will find it
equally amusing.

I particularly enjoyed the translation of the first two lines of the second
verse, which show how much some people feel English has changed since the
time this song was written.

I realize that many of you, after reading this, will quit the list, since
given this obvious triumph of machine translation we can all see that there
is no longer any need or use for an international auxiliary language.

Forwarded message here follows:

----

My esteemed friend Dave Locke has conspired with the
automated translation service made available by
Digital's Alta Vista to translate a Mel Brooks song
from English into German and back again. The result
is remarkable in the extreme and bears wider
dissemination.

Below you will find the original song in English and
following that the result of stuffing it through
Alta Vista's English-to-German translator followed
by the German-to-English translator. This is, I
should emphasize, completely on the level. If you
don't believe me, try it yourself at

http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate?

(A warning: While reading the second version of the
song below, avoid eating anything you would not want
to pass through your nose.)

----

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/