On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, James Chandler wrote (excerpt):

> If a language like I-a were chosen over one of the Ido-Novial type,
> it could be nothing but a disgraceful concession to the preferences of
> some for a Latin language, based on emotional and irrational prejudices
> which have no place in the selection of an international language.

    I am not the first to opine that if there ever is any official or
quasi-official acceptance/establishment of some constructed auxiliary
language, linguistic factors will probably take a back seat to such
non-linguistic factors as politics and "emotional and irrational
prejudices."  Once a language is "good enough," as I put it in my essay
on factors of (con)IAL success -- and I don't presume to define "good
enough" precisely here -- then non-linguistic factors become more
important.  That is why I think that ever striving for a close
approximation to linguitic "perfection" (which I do not think even
exists) is a pursuit of the will o' the wisp.  Like it or not,
prejudices *do* play an importnat role, and we ignore them at our
peril.

Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart