Quoth James Chandler:
> Where did "per favore" come from?  "Per" in N means "by means of".
> Can you really use it in "per favore?".  I actually think that a
> convenient form like E "please" would be best in N: either PLES
> or PLEZ, for instance: "ples konsidera, ples aperta li porte".

Later in the document I use the Esperantic "me petir".  "Per favore" is
certainly incorrect, although presumably "por favore" would work, as
would "si le plesar vu" or something similar.  I remember discussion of
a particle PLES, but I don't remember what came of it offhand... I
imagine that usage will dictate the regular Novial form.

> > "Morge es jodie, patro!" "Jodie!  E quiklok es?" demandar patro.  "Es
> > klok quar e quarime", dikter Maria.  Li matra aparir tra li fenestre, e
> > dikter, "Que durstar?  Que hungrar?".  Li matra intenter at drinkar
> > kafee o tee in li gardene kun li familie.  "Patro", dikter matra,
> > "kafee?"
>
> It might be better to use "qui klok" rather than "quiklok" (cf NL),
> as the latter looks a bit like an adverb in -LOK.

True.  Noted.

> > "Non, danke, tee me petir, tee kun limone."  Matra donar tase de tee kun
> > limone a patro kun plate de tortes, e dikter, "Atenter, patro!  Es vun
> > tee."  "Aa, multi dankes, matra, ma nur un torte, mi petir."  Patro
> > levar li tase e komensar manjar li torte.  "O, tam beli es li gardene!"
> > dikter li matra.  Li matra es kompletim kontenti at eser in li gardene
> > kun sen familie.
>
> Why "dankE"?  The definition of "peti" in NL is: (present a) petition.
> Is this really what is going on here, or is this an Espism?  Again
> "multi dankEs".  "Mi petir": there are quite a few petitions being
> passed around here.

It is an Esperantism, but it seems to me that it's as valid as any other
way of saying "please".  As for why "danke", why not "danke"?  We in
English say "thanks", but that doesn't mean that Novial has to only use
the plural form.  Again, I would think that any of "danke", "dankes",
"multi dankes", "mi dankar (vu)" would work, and that usage will
determine the customary "thank you".

> > Men frato habitar grandi hause kun sen familie.  Li hause de men frato
> > es beli.  Li salone es spatiosi e li koquatorie (?) apertar al gardene.
> > Li gardene estas malisi.
>
> "Frat-o" should be "fratr-o".

Correct.

> Yes, "koquatorie" is E kitchen.

That I knew, I wasn't sure about "cocina" and the others. :)

> "Estas" should be "es": "Lasciate ogni Esperanto ch'entrate!".

Ack!  I saw that after I had posted it.  :P

> "Apertar al gardene" is a slightly idiomatic use of "a".  I would
> probably substitute "ye" here.

Good idea.  I had a lot of trouble with this phrase, since both the
original and the Ia use the idiomatic "gives onto".  Another idea would
be to use "opens into" instead of "opens to".  I'm still not sure
though.

> > Men matra invadar en salone kun libre in li mane, e men patro dikter a
> > matre, "Que es te in li mano?  Ob te es libre ob non?".  "Yes",
> > respondar matra, "He es libre", e la dikter, ke li libre es interesanti.
>
> "En salone" -> "En li salone".

Right.

> Instead of "libre in li manUe", one could also say "libre ye manUe".

Right about the "manue"; I don't see a problem with "in", though.

> "Matre" should be "matrA".  "Mane, mano"?  The NL word is MANU, which
> in N97 is presumably MANUE

Typos, born of trying to translate from Interlingua. ;)

> "Ob te es libre ob non": second OB should be O.

I'm not so sure...  check out AIL top of p. 154, OB is used to denote
two alternatives like this.

--
-=-Don [log in to unmask]<http://www.cs.brown.edu/~dpb/>-=-
"I don't think they could put him in a mental hospital.  On the other