On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Marsha Maguire wrote:

|museum that will open at Seattle Center in 1999.  We have a fledgling
|oral history program that has so far yielded about 18 transcripts of
|interviews with rock musicians and business people.  I'd like to tag
|those transcripts but have seen no reference to an oral history DTD or
|set of practices to encoding oral history transcripts (and my request to
|the Oral History Association list went unanswered, leading me to think
|there is no such DTD).

I would be quite surprised if you couldn't handle this kind of
material quite well with a subset of the TEI recommendations for
spoken texts.  (see
http://etext.virginia.edu/bin/tei-tocs?div=DIV1&id=TS (and elsewhere)
for a quick refresher on these if you haven't read that chapter lately!)

I'd be happy to comment further if you'd like to send me a sample of
the kind of material you're thinking of, and what you're planning to
do with it.

|I've just learned that UC Berkeley uses TEI Lite to encode the oral
|history transcripts of the Bancroft Library.  Does anyone else on this
|list know of efforts to encode transcripts?  I tried searching this

You could get quite a long way using TEILite, but it doesn't have
anything for specifically speech-related phenomena. So if you want to
record, for example, hesitation, speech quality, prosodic features,
etc. you wouldn't get much help.

best wishes

Lou Burnard