[log in to unmask] said:
] I am preparing a Finnish-Latin dictionary in TEI and I am a bit hazy
] on how difficult it will be to serve it as an XML document. Any
] insights? I am using full TEI, not TEI lite.

Hi,

I am working on an XML release of the full TEI P3. But it is not a
trivial task because the TEI SGML DTD uses some features that disappeared
with XML (exclusion and inclusion, some attribute type, the AND
connector, CDATA declared content, etc...).

1/ The main problem is with the place of the PCDATA declaration of the
element content model: #PCDATA MUST be at the first place when in a
group and must have *. Some examples:

        good: <!ELEMENT div1 (#PCDATA)>
        good: <!ELEMENT div1 (#PCDATA | div2)*>
        bad: <!ELEMENT div1 (div2 | #PCDATA)*>
        bad: <!ELEMENT div1 (#PCDATA | div2*)>
        bad: <!ELEMENT div1 (#PCDATA | div2)+>

It means that it is necessary to rewrite a part of the DTD !

2/ The other problem (or tips) is the use of the XML-LINK (XLL) and the
TEI extended pointers system which are very closed (with a <!ENTITY %
TEI.linking 'INCLUDE'> declaration). Which one to use ?

3/ XML is case sensitive, so use the exact case of the element
declaration within the DTD.

I would recommend you to continue with the full TEI SGML DTD and convert
your documents from SGML to XML when the XML TEI DTD will be ready, it
should not be very difficult. I will announce the availability of the
XML TEI DTD in a few weeks.

I've got already the XML TEIlite ready for XML and it is available here :

http://www.loria.fr/~bonhomme/xml.html

Best Regards,

Pat.

  [log in to unmask]               |      Office : B.228
  http://www.loria.fr/~bonhomme   |      Phone  : 03 83 59 20 37
   * Projet Aquarelle : http://aqua.inria.fr
   * Serveur Silfide  : http://www.loria.fr/Projet/Silfide