> 1) Bach cantatas: a faculty member has done a massive translation of the
> Bach cantatas and would like to consider an electronic (web-available)
> version. He is interested in a parallel text and has many footnotes to
> deal with as well. He has been talking to someone who says
> "HTML/frames/separate file for each footnote." I would like to encourage
> him to consider a different approach.  :-)

Is this the text only or the musical notation as well?

I have a strong temptation to say "Use SMDL" for musical notation, but
I don't know any software that supports it yet. (For those who haven't
encountered it, SMDL is the Standard Music Description Language, an
application of HyTime/SGML.)

HTML should not really be considered for any long-term data storage,
IMHO.

///Peter