Bruce wrote
>Julian, wasn't it you who just posted that languages should be judged on how
>well they do what they set out to do, and not by the criteria used by some
>_other_ language's design?
>
>But I think that the problem with forms like "seliger" is that they are
>analyz-
>able _only_ if you know enough ClLat to be able to associate -lig- and -lect-
>in your mind. I do, so after some looking at the word, I figured it out. But
>I daresay that most native speakers of English would not recognize "seliger"
>from "select," nor would they even from the combination of "eligible,"
>"elect,"
>and "select," because the relationship in the meanings of "eligible" and
>"elect" is obscured, not only by intra-Latin sound shifts, but also by
>semantic
>drift. While anyone who has learned "-lok" (from, e. g., "location" in
>English)
>does not have to figure out what other form it might appear in in some other
>word; it is always "-lok." It is true that "hi-" seems arbitrary (though, ac-
>tually, it can be related to the Novial "hir" which is in turn derived
>directly
>from Eng and Ger, so I don't have to appeal to ClLat "hic" even if that is the
>_source_!) but again, once you've learned "hi-" _once_, you don't need to try
>to figure it out in 3 or 4 different guises.
>
>If "selig-" forms existed in some great number of other languages SPOKEN BY
>the people learning I-a, either as L1 or as a well-learned L2, I could accept
>the idea that "well, Eng has to be the odd man out, because there are all
>these
>other languages that have to be accommodated." Which is why I have no problem
>with a word like "caballo" in I-a. It has no known Eng cognate (except
>"cavalcade" and "cavalier," whose meanings are so far away as to make them
>useless for mnemonic purposes.) But here we _do_ have a word that is easily
>recognizable by hundreds of millions of speakers of Romance languages.

As far as I can remember I recognized _eliger_ as a form of _election_
without effort! One could really believe Swedish were one of the source
languages of Interlingua :-)

In Interlingua the word for _horse_ is _cavallo_ as in _cavalcade_,
_cavallery_. The word for _ride_ is as in Novial _cavalcar_
(prophylactically: I'm thinking about the infinitive :-)

Kjell [log in to unmask]
Kjell Rehnstroem
Vaenortsgatan 87
S-752 64  UPPSALA