Bruce Gilson skripted:

> Actually, in my head, I find it hard to keep straight the differences among
> "pri," "pro," and "por." (The last two, in fact, both translate "for"
> in E.)
> So that is, for _me_ admittedly only, a good reason to reduce the incidence
> of "pro." But I've never put this for a general argument.

I've never been completely happy with PRO in this function.
To E speakers it means "for", as in "pro-hunting, I am pro the legalization
of cannabis" (not really!), or "weigh up the pro's and con's" (the "fors"
and "againsts", i.e. advantages and disadvantages).
I once thought about taking PARS KE from F, then back-forming PARS for
"because of".  But it is not completely satisfactory, I must admit.
So, the search continues.
Could someone put my mind at rest that PRO actually meant "because of"
in Latin?  I imagine this was just a more or less improper use of the
word for "for".

James Chandler