Paul Bartlett wrote:

> ... For criminy sake, people, quit tinkering and get on to
>using!  Pei pointed out four decades ago that the quest for
>"perfection" could be the death of the auxiliary language movement.

Mario Pei expressed this thought, and Paul has expressed it so many times that
it's become tiresome to read it.

Obviously many of us disagree. And I really doubt that anybody will be con-
vinced by simply quoting Pei over and over, without any evidence that it's so.
The reason Volapuek failed was that it proved almost impossible to use in
practice. The reason Esperanto succeeded to a greater degree was that it was a
better language; however, not good enough to attract a massive user-base. So
some of us feel that at least part (not all, by any means) of the task of
getting an IAL that people will _use_ is to come up with one better than any
that have been proposed. Obviously, it also takes one other part, at least:
creating incentives to study and use your favorite language. For those who
believe as Paul does, only this second part is important. As I said, many of us
disagree, and feel the first part needs attention too.

Sheer repetition of Pei's words will not make anyone believe them who does
not already.

                                Bruce R. Gilson
                                IRC: EZ-as-pi