Skribis Jens LARSEN:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, James Chandler wrote:
>
> > It is next to impossible to promote a language with a name like Ido
> > in this country.
> > Since I started mentioning it to people, very few of them have been
> > able to remember the pronunciation.
> > There are two ways to pronounce the first vowel: [i:] or [ai], and
> > two to pronounce the second: as in "dough" or as in "do".
> > So far I have heard the three wrong possible pronunciations more than
> > I have heard the correct one.
> > This name is a monstrosity and was a grave error on the part of the
> > original Idists.
>
> Well, those _were_ Frenchies, y'know... :)
>
> "Ido" associates to "idea" as well as "idiot", and the latter would of
> course be nice to avoid.  I think some used "Ildo", especially in
> Germany, before the form "Ido" finally got established.  Has that been
> mentioned in the Ido list?

I doubt whether "Ildo" could safely be revived today, at least in
the English-speaking world. It sounds too much like "dildo", which is
perhaps an even better word than "idiot" to avoid.

I believe that "Ilo" was also used in the very early days.

Of course, given the nature of English spelling, just about any name
you choose will have a large number of ways to be mispronounced. That
"Ido" only has three such is actually a bit of luck.
--Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/