At 11:19 AM 1/23/98 -0500, Paul Bartlett wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Robin Gaskell wrote (excerpted):
>
>> *       Well ... !  Maybe we can use human intelligence on this one.  It
was
>> proposed (Gaskell, Conlang ~1996) that when writing is intended for the
>> international reader, non-literal language can be marked .. even by the
>> writer!!!
>
>    But how does simply marking it make it any easier to understand and
>translate?  And are English's notorious phrasal verbs "non-literal
>language" or semantic atoms which are part of the regular structure of
>the language?

*       I suspect we're stuck with these.  Was thinking of the way I was taught
at school about quotation marks, and the difference between double and
single inverted commas.  The marking of glaring metaphors and distinctive
idioms would become second nature to people taught the trick at school.

        As the world shrinks, it is only politeness for us to consider our
'multicultural' readership, and give the majority, who are not of our
particular
linguo-cultural group, hints that certain patches are 'purple', and might
require them to consult their dictionary of idioms.  Such things will, no
doubt, be included in future word processors, much as dictionaries,
spell-checkers and grammar checkers are to-day.

>> Oncee Global Citicen gets into the habit of marking their non-literals,
>
>    I suspect that many native speakers of English would not recognize
>a non-literal in their speech or writing if it bit them on the nose.
*       Only because, at present, native-speakers-of-English act as the master
race, communication-wise, and assume that everyone else must understand
their language.  We English speakers see no need to rhink before we utter.

>Not everyone has linguistic sensitivity training.  I have detected
>idioms creeping into some of the usages of the Glosa Education
>Organization themselves.

*       Both statements are true.  But, come the 'linguistic revolution,' the
tyranny of cultural domination will be broken.  Primary-school children of
all races will be taught to recognise the difference between literal and
non-literal
language: the metaphors and symbols of cultural domination will be  .....
  ........      [ furthur manic stuff deleted ]   ..........

Back to Normal,
 Robin