Robert J. Petry wrote:

> > Paul O Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > [snip]> > Bob WRote: 6. It is based on a "simplified English Chinese"
> > grammar.
> > >
> > >     Whatever that is.  Did Dutton actually know any Chinese languages?
> > > Where can we find a description of this wondrous grammar?
> >[snip]

Just another quick follow-up on this question. Dutton mentions Karlgren's "Sound &
Symbol in Chinese". It is this book printed first in 1923, Reprinted 1929, 1946,
that Dutton credits with his idea of "idea compounds". Well, tonight I got the
bright idea of checking the local university library on line to see if they had the
book. They did. But, it was checked out till Feb. On no! I thought. And, then I had
one of those rare intuitions. My wife!!!!! She is heavy into Chinese history.
Sooooo, I trotted into the other room and asked her if she had heard the name
Karlgren. Well, from now on, anything Chinese I'm going to check her books first.
Three guesses on who had the book checked out. The first two don't count.Anyway,
now I can find out what Dutton was reading and what inspired him from this book.
Ain't wives great?
I just finished reading through page 16, and it becomes quite clear now, to me, how
Dutton tried to pursue the "word = idea" description that Karlgren used in
describing ancient Chinese, etc.

Al l sue,
Bob