>> Marcos wrote:
>>You wrote: "And it would be a marvellous thing for people of
>>....Scandinavia .... (a lot of other countries are following) Algeria... i=
>>that auxiliary languge be easy also for them.

>> Kjell wrote:
>>I am from Scandinavia and Interlingua is easy for me.

>Ray wrote:
>But not, I think, quite so easy for many from those countries Kjell has
>snipped.  The point Marcos makes and that I've made on many occasions is
>that one should make an effort to get make the learning easy for as many as
>possible.

Kjell
The precondition for for the success of an auxiliary language that is not a
"Euroclone" must be a situation where e.g. Japanese, Chinese, Zulu,
Tibetan, Sinhala and Guaran=ED were the dominant world languages. To-day the
situation is different.  The international vocabulary that is the
intermediary between different languages of the world is the one we find in
Interlingua's source languages. No Chinese, Japanese or Korean (just to
give a few examples) will regret that he/shi has spent hours of hard work
to learn Interlingua. It will not only help in contacts with other people
but will also give insight into Western vocabulary.

As the situation is today it is in the Western vocabulary that the freedom
lies. I can very well imagine that a revolutionary government of some kind
or another would support som politically correct non-Euroclone language for
the general dummification of its population. The talk of a non-Euroclone
language is a hoax. Because the situation is that you have to learn western
languages to get outside of your Linguistic Ghetto.

Interlingua is honnest in that it provides the international vocabulary,
which is not easy at a Speedwords-Eurolanga level but it teaches a
vocabulary that the learner can use in future languages studies.

I don't pretend that it should be the second language for all, but it is
there as a tool for those who want to use it. The material in interlingua
can be used in other studies. This is important. Not that it is somewhat
more difficult than - say - Esperanto (and that remains to be proven) but
I-gua is certainly more rewarding.

I mean the interesting thing here is how to get people interested in the
language. Some postings here have delt with the allegedly ugly name of Ido.
If you have to present somebody by name, then this is important, but if
something is being presented for its deeds, then the name does not matter.
No Scandinavian hearing the name of "Engelska" thinks it has something to
do with "=E4nglar" (angels), because it is well known what English is. Same
thing in a sense with Interlingua. It may mean all and nothing. Swahili is
a kind of Interlingua in Africa. (Well, I would certainly use the term
"interlanguage" but let us forget about that). What is important is the
language itself. You use it with those who can read it and they get
interested and so on....

A language that is non Euro-Centric is a political idea. With a language
like this non-Euroclone you have to use a lot of English, and Spanish and
=46rench to convince the world and all the non-Europocentric people don't
read these languages, so you have to get missionaries to translate TE WORD.
Something like spreading the Bible!

Kjell [log in to unmask]
Kjell Rehnstroem
Vaenortsgatan 87