INTERLINGUA IN LE UNION EUROPEE - II

"Motherhood and Wienerschnitzel"

>        [Allan Kiviaho 980128]
>As you can see, the percentage of MP's at the Europarliament favorable
>for Esperanto was 18.53 %. I don't have the URL of the web-site but
>you can certainly easily find it with Altavista. Of the Finns Reino
>Paasilinna is a former general dicector of the Finnish Broadcasting
>Company and Astrid Thors is an eminent personality at the Swedish
>People's Party of Finland. Mr. Paasilinna's both brothers are very
>famous writers.

[Follows list of 116 MPs]

          [Donald J. HARLOW <[log in to unmask]> 980128]
Allan, I think you are looking at a list of current Europarliamentarians
who have, at one time or another, expressed themselves as being
favorable
to Esperanto, presumably in writing. This does not represent any kind of
actual vote in the parliament, to the best of my knowledge. I do not
expect this support to translate itself into any kind of vote in the
foreseeable future, either, since supporting Esperanto (or any other
planned language) lies politically somewhere between supporting
motherhood and wienerschnitzel on the one hand and absolute stark
staring madness on the other.

          [Allan Kiviaho 980131]
Don, I think there is more in it than Wienerschnitzel (but less than
motherhood, which is the most important thing of humanity, I believe).
Please read my salvo of messages AUXLANG AT EUROPARLIAMENT - I ... and
decide then.

May be "VOTING" is not the best word, but the "Concise English
Dictionary"
by Cassell says:
vote - n. a formal expression of opinion, will or choice, in regard to
the election of a candidate, the passing or rejection of a resolution,
law etc., usually signified by voice, gesture, ballot; anything by which
it is expressed, as a ballot, ticket etc.; that which is voted, as a
grant of money; the aggregate votes of a party etc.; the right to vote,
the suffrage.
v.i. to give one's vote; to express one's approval (for).
v.t. to give one's vote for; to enact, resolve, ratify, or grant by a
majority of
votes;
(coll.) to declare by general consent.
From Latin votum, wish, vow

" to express one's approval (for)", that's it., or "to declare by
general consent".

Amicalmente

Allan