At 10:19 28/1/98, Jens S. Larsen wrote:
[.....]

>Why would the Jews want to introduce the Latin alphabet and make
>inaccessible the old literature that tells what Israel is?  The Jews
>in Balkan spoke (and still speaks to some extent, I think) a dialect
>of Spanish, most probably written in Hebrew characters too.

It is indeed - the language IIRC is Ladin (or Ladino?) and is/was used
among the Sephardim of north Africa.  Our friend Cheradenine Zakalwe seems
to have forgotten that Jewish language.

> The Jews
>needed a medium that was neutral not only between the Sefardim and the
>Ashkenazi, but also within those two groups themselves - and then it
>should if possible be _un_neutral towards the Goyim, the non-Jewish
>part of the world.  On top of that, there was already a sizeable
>Hebrew-speaking community when the state was founded in 1949.

Indeed there was - and English, one of Cheradenine's proposed
'Israel-langs', was hardly neutral at the time of the founding of the
modern state in 1948/49.  Britain, who held the old League of nations
mandate for Palestine, had ben restricting Jewish entry to the country &
had been engaged in guerilla warfare with "Jewish terrorists" (as they were
called - some later became leading figures in Isreal  :-).   I think
suggesting they adopted English as the state language would have been as
welcome as a platter of spare-ribs at a vegetarian dinner.

Ray.

Written in Net English                 Humor not marked
No intentional misreprsentation of another's statements
No intentional ad_hominem remarks

Gerasko d'aei polla didaskomenos (SOLON)