Je 08:20 ptm 1/28/98 GMT, James CHANDLER skribis:

[Pardonu, =BCus eliris fu=FEita respondo pro akcidenta premo de mal=F8usta=
 butono.]

>Zamenhof ne permisis Couturat e al. uzar la nomo Esperanto, ma me
>ne kredas ke la nuna espisti povus preventar ni uzar la nomo.  Fakte,
>ido esis kreata da la maxim kompetenta espisti di la komenco di la
>yarcento.  Pro quo TA espisti esis preventata uzar la nomo?  Se
>Zamenhof e la Lingva Komitato ne cesabus omna komuniko kun la
>reformema espisti, forsan ni ne bezonus hodie diskutar ka ni darfas
>uzar la nomo Esperanto.  Ni havas la sama emi kam la espisti, ni
>havas kelke simila linguo: do ni tote darfas uzar la sama nomo, kun
>modifiki.

Since Zamenhof (a) never trademarked the name "Esperanto", and (b)
explicitly gave up all rights to the language in 1887, it would have been
extremely difficult for him to have prevented Couturat from using the name
for Ido if he had insisted on doing so. In fact, Couturat never asked
Zamenhof for the right to use the name "Esperanto" -- in his letter of 26
October 1907 to Zamenhof, he used the formula "If the Esperantists will
accept it..." Obviously, they didn't. Zamenhof's only reply to that
particular letter was his four-line reply of 30 October, in which he did
not address the question of the name of Couturat's project. I don't believe
that the exchange of letters of 26 January 1908 (Couturat) and 31 January
1908 (Zamenhof) even discusses that particular trivial question.

I don't suppose that today's Esperantists could prevent you (personally)
from using the name "Esperanto" for Ido, but, as I believe I paraphrased
from Bob Heinlein in another context, skunks may come to picnics to steal
crumbs, but they are seldom welcomed.

Among the creators of Ido were one highly competent Esperantist and two
moderately competent ones (Couturat, the prime mover, was not one of them),
but a whole lot of others from the "maxim kompetenta espisti di la komenco
di la yarcento" -- Cart, Bourlet, Sebert, Privat, Zamenhof himself, anybody
from outside the French-speaking part of the world -- had nothing at all to
do with it.

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/