Je 11:00 ptm 1/28/98 +0200, Allan KIVIAHO skribis:
>--------------------------------
>Auxlang voting at Europarliament
>--------------------------------
>
>        [Allan Kiviaho 980127]
>>This is no mere phantasy. In a recent voting in Europarliament some
>>17-18 % of the MP's already voted FOR an auxlang. It was for Esperanto,
>>because it was the only auxlang presented to them.
>
>                        [Marcos Franco 980128]
>Really? I wasn't acquainted of any for-auxlang votation on the
>european parlamient. Could you enlarge this information?
>
>        [Allan Kiviaho 980128]
>As you can see, the percentage of MP's at the Europarliament favorable
>for Esperanto was 18.53 %. I don't have the URL of the web-site but
>you can certainly easily find it with Altavista. Of the Finns Reino
>Paasilinna is a former general dicector of the Finnish Broadcasting
>Company and Astrid Thors is an eminent personality at the Swedish
>People's Party of Finland. Mr. Paasilinna's both brothers are very
>famous writers.

[Follows list of 116 MPs]

Allan, I think you are looking at a list of current Europarliamentarians
who have, at one time or another, expressed themselves as being favorable
to Esperanto, presumably in writing. This does not represent any kind of
actual vote in the parliament, to the best of my knowledge. I do not expect
this support to translate itself into any kind of vote in the foreseeable
future, either, since supporting Esperanto (or any other planned language)
lies politically somewhere between supporting motherhood and
wienerschnitzel on the one hand and absolute stark staring madness on the
other.

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/