Steven,

We do them.  Apart from the H&P they're the only modality we have for
'brain' investigation.  The nearest EEG is in Adelaide 1,600 kilometres
(1,000 miles) away.

Apart from the concern about radiation exposure, the other consideration is
cost, but doing them avoids multiple 'I'm worried' attendances,  and they
are therefore probably worth their salt for that reason alone.

The 'therapeutic' CT reassures parents and doctors alike.

To my mind the only real reason for concern in doing them is the amount of
radiation the kids get.

Regards,

Greg

At 07:21 PM 2/11/98 -0800, you wrote:
>What is this group's opinion on head CT's for first-time, non-febrile
>seizures? I know the literature is somewhat ambigous but I would like to
>get some consensus on what people are currently practicing.
>Thanks
>
>Steven Szabo,M.D.
>
>For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the
message: info PED-EM-L
>The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
>  http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Emergency_Medicine/ped-em-l.html

Dr Greg Winterflood  BA MBBS DA DRCOG