In summary, your patient has fever for 6 days, arthralgia for 3-4 weeks
of knees & ankles without evidence of true arthritis or functional
limitation, URI for 7-10 days, and a normal exam without a source
barring some irritability and tender cervical nodes (I assume
bilateral).

I would include in the differential diagnosis the following:
1. The "arthralgia" for a month is bothersome. My concern is does the
child have an occult hematologic malignancy(leukemia, lymphoma etc) with
bone pains which is masquerading as joint aches.
2. Atypical Kawasaki's has been described with cases like these with
fever> 5days, arthralgia, cervical lymphadenopaty and irritability. The
absence of muco-cutaneous changes, bilateral lymphadenopathy and the
joint pains preceding the fever make it "atypical." Our cardiologists
have described some of these cases ending up with coronary aneurysms!
3. Systemic onset JRA (or other rheumatological diseases like SLE). This
would require longer than 4-6 weeks of fever without other obvious
causes to confirm the diagnosis. Fleeting rashes, organomegaly, pallor
would help but may not have declared itself yet.
4. Serum sickness like illness with fever, lymhadenopathy & arthralgia
is possible. Any recent antibiotic history like cefaclor or recent
immunizations?
5. A protracted viral illness is still the most likely. Considerations
include EBV, CMV, parvovirus with joint symptoms. Watchful expectancy
would sort this out.
6. SBE is possible with prolonged fever and arthralgia. The absence of
murmur, pallor, splenomegaly would go against it. Any splinter
hemmorhages or clubbing? With this history of SVT ,"unknown" reason for
ECMO and room air sats of 96% I wonder if this patient has a
structurally normal heart?
7. Cat scratch fever can give fever and adenopathy. Any kitten exposure?
........the list goes on

Workup
Given the above, I would do minimally do a CBC, UA (occult vasculitis,
SBE can give hematuria), ESR, CxR (look for mediastinal adenopathy)  & ?
monospot

Diagnosis?
If all above labs are normal I would discharge, recheck in 2-3 days,
with fever "diary." Let time declare the illness!

Hope that helps. Let us know the outcome.

Thanks

Jay Pershad

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: