I work in a busy E.C. that sees both pediatric and adult patients.  We are
looking at ways to improve triage methods and possibly streamline the
process.   Efforts have been made to assist with assessment through
the Emergisoft system triage screen being set-up to prompt the nurse to
ask the right questions.  It has helped but is not fool-proof.  Other
suggestions have been to use a decision tree approach which would
determine whether the pediatric patient even required vital signs before
triage to the pediatric area or pediatric prompt care (ie. the smiling child
here for a small knee laceration) and physician triage which would
potentially decrease kids being triaged back at all (ie. the child with
obvious ear infection may just be given a script and be sent on their
way).  In addition, we are looking at the documentation that is done when
the child is sent in to see the physician, how much assessment should
be done before the doc sees the patient?  If the department is busy, do
they look past the weight and the pulse ox and vital signs?

Please let me know how it is done elsewhere with particular interest in
hospitals that see both pediatric and adult patients.  Many thanks in
advance for your input and suggestions!!

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: