Greetings all,
Going through the last two month's messages, getting rid of the spam. One
person's meat is another's spam, they say. The spam I threw out was the
stuff about HMO denials.
Thank god I do not have to deal with the JDs and MBAs here in the North. To
my mind, the control you in the south have given over to the corporations is
astounding. Health care is not business, and the boundary must be drawn very
clearly. Corporations are responsible only to their shareholders and will
always make decisions to increase the bottom line, even if patients and
workers ( that's you!) suffer. If industry is not regulated, it will cut
corners, skimp, cheat, price-fix, bait-and-switch, abuse workers, sell snake
oil, downsize workers and hike executive pay, and use all the other tools of
unfettered capitalism developed over the rather ignominious history of just
the last hundred years.
I may be naive, but what the hell, it ain't the first time I've been wrong.
Allow me my rant.

I am amazed when I see the pictures of the bill-collecting departments in
the hospitals down there. If you developed a single-payer system, would that
not save money? The current system clearly needs a beaureaucracy  to
administer the regulatory apparatus to control the corporations. Add that
cost in, and I find it hard to believe that you would not save money. And
perhaps your infant mortality rate would come up to standard, too!
We as physicians, nurses, respiratory techs, etc are descended from the
tribal shaman and not the market hawker. We inherited a wealth from our
precursors, a wealth of respect and trust, and it's our obligation to
preserve that and pass it on, especially now in an age when we really can do
something other than offer snake oil.
It is a privilege to be a physician, or any other health care professional.
Physicians of the world unite; You have nothing to lose but your chains! :)

Respect,

Geoff Forbes MD

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: