I have found that many of our patients, including the very young can be
CT'ed without sedation at all.  This amazed me when I first started
working here. At the institution where I worked previously (a general
hospital) the CT techs insisted on pre-sedation of most peds patients.  I
suspect that the non-sedation success here is multifactorial (fast spiral
scanner, good restraints, parent at patients side, and Barney songs
playing).  For those patients who require sedation I have had excellent
results with iv Versed (0.1 mg/kg, then repeat doses 0.05 mg/kg, titrating
to effect).  I have rarely had to add another agent.

As an add on question: what is your practice with regard to sending
relatively stable sedated patients to CT.  Do you require a MD/DO at the
bedside, or is an R.N. adequate?

Zach Kassutto, M.D.                             email: [log in to unmask]
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children         tel: 215-427-5989
Philadelphia, PA

> Date:    Mon, 2 Feb 1998 12:25:30 -0500
> From:    "Marianne B. Sutton" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: sedation
>
> I work in a Community Hospital in Massachussets we use versed for
> conscious sedation frequently and had a few questions.
>
> What are people doing when sedation for a CT with versed fails?
> Are non-anesthesiologists using propofol (diprivan)?
> Do you give versed to children who have a full stomach?  If now how long
> do you require them to be NPO?
>
> thanks
> Marianne Sutton, MD, MPH

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: