RE: Sedatives

Just to add another opinion.  P.O., I.N., and I.V. Midazolam have all been
very variable in our experience with more children experiencing
disinhibition than sedation.

As others have stated we've had 100% success with the I.V. pentobarbital
regimen (2.5 mg I.V., wait 5 minutes, 1.25 mg I.V. prn,  wait 5 minutes,
1.25 mg. I.V. prn) We have never needed to go beyond the second dose.

In a head to head comparison of IV midazolam and pentobarbital, 100% of the
pento group was successfully sedated for CTR while the majority of the
midazolam patients failed and were switched to the pentobarbital group.

We use propofol in selected cases but cost wise it is much more expensive.

Just another set of views for the discussion

Thank you.

Al Sacchetti
Our Lady of Lourdes, Camden, NJ

Alfred Sacchetti