On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Marianne B. Sutton wrote [snip]:

> What are people doing when sedation for a CT with versed fails?
> Are non-anesthesiologists using propofol (diprivan)?
> Do you give versed to children who have a full stomach?  If now how long
> do you require them to be NPO?

I use IV pentobarbital whenever I want to assure sedation for a CT. Onset
is usually less than 5 minutes and the patient is awake in about 30
minutes. It works so rapidly that I do not administer it until the patient
is on the scanner. Initial dose is 2 mg/kg; it may be repeated in 5
minutes, and 1/2 the initial dose in another 5 minutes, prn sedation
(total 5 mg/kg).

While the drawback is the patient needs an IV, the upside is that it is
quick and reliable; you don't need to sit around for 30-90 minutes waiting
for the sedation to begin and then another hour or two for the patient to
wake up.

Jeff Linzer MD MICP Division of Emergency Medicine
Egleston and Hughes Spalding Children's Hospitals

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: