          I am currently working on a QI project and am interested in blood
          culture contamination rates and would appreciate if anyone could
          supply me with information about the following for their ED's.
          Please reply to my e-mail so others are not flogged with e-mail:

          1) What is your contamination rate for blood cultures?

          2) What percentage of your positive cultures are contaminants?

          3) Are cultures drawn through IV catheters when an IV is placed and
          cultures are desired? or does it depend on age of the child?(I
          realize there is data to suggest no increase in contamination but
          am interested in actual practice)

          4) If you draw a CBC to identify infant at risk for occult
          bacteremia do you draw blood cx at same time? Do you send it
          regardless or only send it based on WBC?

          Thank you,

          Jonathan Bennett E-mail: [log in to unmask]

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: