>At 17:39 02.02.1998 -0800, Steven Szabo wrote:
><snip>
>
>>However, we do not want to pay for these services, "health care cost are
escalating" and we need to save money.

>Do we?
>
>Consider - if you will - that you do not, personally, pay for 'defence
services'.

>This a problem of 'opportunity cost'.
>
>If, as recently endorsed by a convention of women drawn together by the
WHO, each country in the world decreased its expenditure on defence, or its
war-making capability by 5%, there would be 5% more available in each
country for expenditure on health (or something else).

>One could ask: Is there a macroeconomic reason why expenditure on health
should not be double what it is in countries such as the US (and Australia)?

>Money is not short.  It is the other things we spend money on which makes
money short for health.

>If defence expenditure was reduced to zero and the savings rediverted to
health there would be a significant advantage for health.

>>We will get what we are willing to pay for.
>
>Pay less (or nothing)for something you don't need (or want) and you will
have more to pay for what you do need (or want).

>>The advantages of our country and our system are that it takes only 1
decade to change >things compared to other parts of the world where it takes
several generations. I never >thought I will live to see the Berlin Wall
come down.

>I was amazed too, but let us see if the US takes only one decade to change
to zero defence expenditure and redivert the savings to health.....

>In a debating mood and in good faith,
>
>Greg

Dr Greg Winterflood  BA MBBS DA DRCOG
Director Emergency Department