Our physician group is reviewing our urine drug screen policy, specifically
concerning physician testing. I am interested to know if anyone has any such
policy in force and any issues that came up during the implementation of that
policy.

Should physicians be tested routinely, prn concerning behavior, or not at all?

Is drug screening an invasion of privacy?

Are we liable for not monitoring individuals that put our patients at risk for
complications due to drug related behavior?

I appreciate any responses.

Chris Ritchey, M.D. , F.A.A.P.
Emergency Department
Cook Children's Medical Center