On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Peter Flynn wrote [in answer to Creagh Cole]

|> sorry . . . I am working on a database of works by many different
|> authors and would like to identify gender of authors so that searches
|> may be restricted, say, to female poets/novelists etc.  I'm not sure how
|> to do this with the teilite dtd.  ie no particular gender attribute for
|> authors.

|There's an ANA attribute which I think is for analytic information
|(I'm not in the same location as my Green Book right now), and it's
|declared as IDREFS which means you can put multiple IDs in there, each
|pointing to a different place (presumably in the TEIHEADER) where you
|define what the values are for or how they are categorised (not that
|you need to explain gender but SGML doesn't know this):
|
|    <FILEDESC>
|      <TITLESTMT>
|        <TITLE>Foo</TITLE>
|        <AUTHOR ana="female poet">Bar</AUTHOR>
|      </TITLESTMT>
|      <PUBLICATIONSTMT>
|      </PUBLICATIONSTMT>
|      <SOURCEDESC>
|      </SOURCEDESC>
|    </FILEDESC>
|    <encodingdesc>
|      <tagsdecl>
|        <tagusage id="female" rend="gender" gi="author">Women</tagusage>
|        <tagusage id="male" rend="gender" gi="author">Men</tagusage>
|        <tagusage id="poet" rend="occupation" gi="author">Poets</tagusage>
|        <tagusage id="playwright" rend="occupation"
|         gi="author">Playwrights</tagusage>
|        <tagusage id="sculptor" rend="occupation"
|         gi="author">Sculptors</tagusage>
|      </tagsdecl>
|
|Where it stumbles is that there's no place to define the namespace,
|so genders and occupations are jumbled in together: I've abused REND
|in the example to provide a namespace.

This is ingenious, but almost entirely wrong. REND is emphatically not
meant to be used in this way, and it's really perverse to use TAGUSAGE
in this way. The natural way to interpret

        <tagusage id="playwright" rend="occupation"
          gi="author">Playwrights</tagusage>

would be something like 'elements with the GI <author> are used to
encode "playwrights", and this usage should be rendered "occupation"'
(whatever that means)

There is a perfectly simple way of doing this which does not involve
tag abuse of any kind, and has in fact been implemented already in two
or three TEI applications.

All you need is the <particDesc> element in the <profileDesc> element,
as defined on pp 652 ff of TEI P3. This allows you to record all sorts
of demographic features of all "participants" in a text, including
their interrelationships. I don't think it's stretching things too far
to say that the author of a text participates in it, do you?

You cannot of course do this with TEILite. But TEILite is not meant to
replace TEI -- it's just one way of simplifying the view you take of
the TEI dtd. You'd do better to construct your own view -- including the
participant description, and possibly omitting some of the bits of TEIlite
which you're not actually using.

Let me know if you'd like help with that process!

best wishes

Lou