*****Sorry Folks in my haste to get away, I sent this on 11th with NO
RECIPIENT.
        Now I resend it, with more urgency, correctly addressed.
>Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:43:22
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Robin Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: INTERLINGUA IN LE UNION EUROPEE - II
>
>At 12:02 PM 1/31/98 +0200, AllenKiviaho wrote:
>*      Allen sent news of the very well organised lobbying of the European
Parliament by Esperantists.

>>INTERLINGUA IN LE UNION EUROPEE - II
>>
>>"Motherhood and Wienerschnitzel"
>>
>>>        [Allan Kiviaho 980128]
>>>As you can see, the percentage of MP's at the Europarliament favorable
>>>for Esperanto was 18.53 %. I don't have the URL of the web-site but
>>>you can certainly easily find it with Altavista. Of the Finns Reino
>>>Paasilinna is a former general dicector of the Finnish Broadcasting
>>>Company and Astrid Thors is an eminent personality at the Swedish
>>>People's Party of Finland. Mr. Paasilinna's both brothers are very
>>>famous writers.
>>>
>>[Follows list of 116 MPs]
>>
>>          [Donald J. HARLOW <[log in to unmask]> 980128]
>>Allan, I think you are looking at a list of current Europarliamentarians
>>who have, at one time or another, expressed themselves as being
>>favorable
>>to Esperanto, presumably in writing. This does not represent any kind of
>>actual vote in the parliament, to the best of my knowledge. I do not
>>expect this support to translate itself into any kind of vote in the
>>foreseeable future, either, since supporting Esperanto (or any other
>>planned language) lies politically somewhere between supporting
>>motherhood and wienerschnitzel on the one hand and absolute stark
>>staring madness on the other.
>>
>>          [Allan Kiviaho 980131]
>>Don, I think there is more in it than Wienerschnitzel (but less than
>>motherhood, which is the most important thing of humanity, I believe).
>>Please read my salvo of messages AUXLANG AT EUROPARLIAMENT - I ... and
>>decide then.
>>
>>  [  .....................  ]  [lots of info on lobbying ]
>>May be "VOTING" is not the best word,  [  ...definitions listed...  ]
>>
>*      Sure as hell beats Democracy, any day!
>
>>" to express one's approval (for)", that's it., or "to declare by
>>general consent".
>>
>*      Aint whats going on in Brussels.
>
>>Amicalmente
>>
>>Allan
>>
>*      Thank you Allen for alerting us in Auxlang to the situation.
>       The mass action effect will obviously be the decider on the adoption of
an/the IAL!!!
>       Yes, If Interlingua is a better language than the heavily supported
Esperanto, then the Interlinguists had better get in there and do some
counter-espionage .. or is it, simply, lobbying .. immediately.  It
certainly is nothing to do with science.
>       Then, again for all of the wind expended (or is it electrons zapped) on
Auxlang trying to give the matter of Global Language Reform some semblance
of dignity, and possibly some scientific rigor, we might as well all go home.
>       Wendy Ashby was invited in 1995, abouts, to the one day EEC meeting on
the possibility of using a Planned Language for EEC proceedings:
representatives
>were invited to put the cases for Esperanto, Interlingua and Glosa.  At
that time, the infamous Edmundo announced that Esperanto had "won."  I now
see what he meant.
>       Do languages attract personality types?  I guess Glosa could go with
inspired Anarchists: our very small-scale, non-corporate approach has no
chance of competing in the political game that the Esperantists are playing.

>       From what I have seen of Interlingua, I prefer it to the old-style
linguisticisms of Esperanto.  You Interlinguans had better get very active
just to ensure that it is a *two-cornered* contest.

>       I would suggest that you take a number of varied quotes, including some
from EC publications, and translate them into Esperanto and Interlingua,
and then into all of the languages of the EC member states.  A few
multilingual flyers set out in this format, and sent to all EC
parliamentarians ... and to all in the insidious European Commission ...
would, at least, permit the voters
>- and other decision makers - to compare for themselves how the languages
shaped up.

>       Needless to say, I will offer to provide a Glosa version of the same
quotations, if asked, giving the situation the appearance of a
*three-cornered*
>contest.  I would even do without, simply to provide some cash for
printing and postage, if this was necessary.

>       Is there a typical personality type that is attracted to Interlingua?
>
>       Thanks, again, Allan: your reports on INTELINGUA IN LE UNION EUROPEAN,
>have a lot more blood and guts in them than anything I had planned for my
novel about the comparative testing of auxlangs around the world.  Truth is
stranger than attempts at fiction.  And ... I didn't really want to paint
the proponents of any one language scheme as black ... but .  Naive, again!
 All I have to do is quote verbatim from the information you released on
Auxlang, and I wouldn't be overdoing the machinations of one of the teams
in the competition.