[log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
 http://adam.cheshire.net/~jjbowks/index.html

-----Original Message-----
>From: Bruce R. Gilson <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list NOVIAL
>Date: Monday, February 23, 1998 12:11 AM
>Subject: Re: Assorted Novial observations
>Jay, you don't seem to understand how much disgust I feel when
someone comes
>into a project that is nearly complete, after 2 years of work,
and tries to
>tell us, "go back to square 1. You're doing it all wrong."

***I don't feel Marcos came on the list and said you're doing it
all wrong,
I feel he came on the list with the same ideas he'd expressed in
Auxlang.
I feel that he expressed fears that decisions the group has done
might
end up opening a way to bring criticism on our revision of
Novial. If you
notice his posts, some of the ideas he mentioned I had already
brought
the attention of the group to bear upon. Namely the substantive
endings,
the -tion words, the -r on the verb, etc. I don't feel I'm doing
it all wrong.

>Marcos had TWO reasonable options. He could come on here
recognizing what we
>have been working on for two years, and accepting the rule that
once a decis-
>ion is made it is final unless a majority agrees to _discuss_
it. Or he could,
>which would make more sense for some differing as much from our
direction as
>he does, choose to come here as an observer, building his own
language, and
>communicating with us on those things we can discuss
profitably.

***Marcos opted to come here and mention his concerns to the
list. I feel he
has a lot to offer in the way of fresh input, and by the way
things have been
going on the Novial-Liste my feeling is that the more varied
opinions we have
the more a hearty language will develop. Agreement and
understanding are
the building blocks that Jespersen used. A lesson that we would
all do well to
keep in mind.

>He has none neither. He has taken the position that _he_ knows
what is right.
>That everything we've done for two years was a big mistake. And
that none of
>_our_ feelings matter.

***I don't think this is the way Marcos made himself understood.
I think you are
reading this into it, and I think your feelings are getting the
best of you.

>I don't think, with an attitude like this, he can contribute to
this project.
>I think he is destroying it. And when I see something we have
worked on for
>two years going up in flames, yes, I'll shout. I'm sorry, Jay,
but you are
>primarily an Interlinguan. You haven't _really_ put your heart
into this
>project. You don't KNOW how I feel about this.
>                                Bruce R. Gilson

***Don't brandish a term like "Interlinguan" as if it were a
species from
StarTrek or Babylon5, Bruce... if I don't know how you feel
about this
situation... to start screaming at someone to accept things as
they are
and shut up or get out... it certainly sounds to me like you're
a Romulan
like I'm an "Interlinguan".

***How can what has taken two years go up in flames because a
better
alternative has been found to a problem. If you are really
sincere about
the majority voting to make decisions then you should not be
afraid to
accept the vote. If you are threatening to leave the group
because the
vote does not go your way, then how is this an example that it
is the group
that decides and not you alone as you've mentioned so many
times.

***The business at hand should be to find the best solutions to
the
problems we agree to find in Novial and to proceed in a manner
that
represents the best solution to the most people. If a certain
solution
creates more problems than it solves then we should reconsider.
One does not finish the road taken if one realizes it will never
take
him to the destination he aims for. Better it would be to turn
around
and adjust the course accordingly. Exactly who is driving this
bus?
If we are all in this together then let's agree to work
together.

Since,
Jay B.