On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Kjell Rehnstr=F6m wrote:

>  James Chandler:

> > I think it was Dyer that commented that Z transcribed
> > F words in -oi- as -oj- when they had that form in
> > Polish/Russian, but as -ua- when the word hadn't made
> > it into those languages.

The other way round: Esp. <ekspluati> `exploit' is <ekspluatirovat'>
in Russian, whereas "fojno, fojo, foiro" (hay, time, market) have been
taken in on basis of their orthography in French.

> > Although Z was obviously in his own way a very good
> > linguist, it is clear he was no professional, and
> > things like this rather give that away.  I think we
> > ought to treat Z's as a major contribution to the
> > field which has now been susperseded.  It could
> > scarcely have been otherwise.

> Kjell Rehnstr=F6m:

> Heureka! Naturalmente. Le clave pote esser le russo _foj=E9_
> del francese _foyer_ que on pronuncia in russo _fay=E9_. Si le
> parola existeva in russo jam al tempore de Zamenhof il es
> possibile que ille lo cognosceva. Si Zamenhof habeva si
> nominate _okanye_ in su pronunciation, in iste caso le le
> esperantification de francese _oi_ a esperantic _oj_ es
> ancora plus probabile. Nota que le parola _foyer_ non sembla
> exister in esperanto, al minus non in mi dictionarios.

"Vestiblo".

Anyway, at the very least Z would have known the pronuciation in
Polish and German too.

--
Jens S. Larsen  *  <"http://dorit.ihi.ku.dk/~steng/index">=20