Je 12:06 atm 2/26/98 +0300, Kjell REHNSTROM skribis:

>>>La regha moshto klopodas manghi la bulkon.
>>>Li regali majestate penar manjar li pane.
>>
>>May I assume that here the word "pane" is equivalent to the Esperanto word
>>"bulko"?  (There is an E-o word "pano", meaning bread.)
>>
>Yes, I wanted a word for bun, bisquit, roll. In esperanto this is bulko
>from Polish _bulka_.
>
>What I ment with the _moshto-example_ was that it is not very wise to have
>words in an international language that are not international in the sence
>that for instance _pan_ and _majestate_ would be.

But, Kjell, you overlook the fact that _both_ those words are found in
Esperanto -- "pano" (bread) and "majesta" (majestic). Both are
"Fundamentaj", in fact. Both are used for the more general situations in
which you might use "pane" and "majestate" in Interlingua.

"Bulko" is used for a _very specific_ type of pastry (what in English is
called a "roll", seldom or never "bread"). The honorific "majesty", for
which you use "majestate", actually has no relationship other than as the
result of some historical brown-nosing to the English honorific "majesty"
-- which, by the way, may be used for only a few people in the entire world
(ruling monarchs). As a one-time member of the SCA I find the Esperanto
general honorific "mosxto" to be extremely useful -- saves me having to
remember whether that hulking fellow with the big wooden sword and the
small metal coronet has to be addressed as "your majesty", "your highness",
"your grace", "your excellency", or whatever.

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/