[Responde al Paul BARTLETT]

>     Has anyone else besides me become weary of these seemingly unending
> discussions on AUXLANG about what is/has been going on on Novial-L, who
> did or did not do what, who did or did not threaten to leave the group,
> or who did or did not actually leave the group, who did or did not try
> to hijack it, and so on ad nauseum?  All this contentiousness in such
> a public forum as AUXLANG disinclines me from even having interest in
> trying to learn more about Novial and its derivatives.

There seem to be four basic questions involved in this ongoing, and
mailbox-filling, discussion:

(1) SHOULD NOVIAL INFINITIVES END IN -R? (and the like)

Given that the question(s) involve(s) not just those in the Novial-l
list, but also the Novial-c(handler) and Novial-f(ranco) variants,
these are probably legitimate concerns here.

(2) IS NOVIAL-L DEMOCRATIC, OR IS BRUCE GILSON A VILE DICTATOR?

If the former, nobody -- especially those who are not on or who have
left the list -- should have any complaints. If the latter, those on
the list who are being used as window dressing always have the option
to desubscribe, if they so choose, leaving Bruce in complete command
of the field with the Novial-g(ilson) variant; and, again, the matter
does not impinge on those outside the list. So this particular
question, which impinges on personality and has been taking up a lot
of bandwidth lately, does not seem to be an appropriate one to
discuss here.

(3) WHO NOW WEARS THE GENUINE MANTLE OF OTTO JESPERSEN?

Auxlang is hardly the place to get the answer to this. There is an
Esperantist group in Brazil that has done yeoman's work in answering
such questions -- they have already published a couple of volumes of
Zamenhof's posthumous poetry (and shown, in doing so, that poetic
talent tends to deteriorate markedly after death). I recommend that
those really interested turn to this group and get Jespersen's own
current opinions on the matter. A final report here on Auxlang might
be of some interest, far more so than ongoing speculation. But, given
that Jespersen, in the space of twenty years, changed from thinking
that Ido was the cat's pajamas to abandoning it completely, I suspect
that everybody will be very surprised by what the man is thinking
today, more than half a century after his death. Who knows, given his
current circumstances (whatever they may be), he might not even
consider the question of great interest anymore.

(4) WHO GETS TO USE THE NAME NOVIAL?

Anybody who wants to.
--Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/