On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Cheradenine Zakalwe wrote (excerpted):

> 2. In Africa, lots of people (no idea if it is a majority) speak
> Romance or Germanic languages. I would venture to guess that the
> majority of literate people in sub-Saharan Africa speak a R or G
> lang.

> 4. The vast majority of people on the Internet speak a R or G lang.
> People on the net probably communicate internationally more often
> than other people, and therefore a conial is likely to be useful to
> them.

    The problem I have long had with this idea of "millions of people
around the world speak a Romance or Germanic language as an L2,
therefore a Euroclone is desirable" is that it seems to predicate ease
of learning of an IAL on prior knowledge of an R/G language.  Then why
not just select one of the R or G languages as the IAL and junk the
constructed one?  After all, many conIAL proponents seem to advocate
using the conIAL alongside people's L1's, which may well not be R/G's.
Why should they have to learn an R/G natlang first in order to make
learning a conIAL easier?  That seems to me to be a waste of effort
contrary to the whole spirit of a conIAL.

Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart