At 05:56 PM 3/17/98 EST, Dean wrote:
>How many of you feel strongly against the use of phenergan in children below
>the age of 2yrs? While not approved for this age group I have not found any
>difficulties.
>
>Dean

Without having the Australian equivalent of the PDR at home I'm pretty sure
that Phenergan (promethazine) is available over the counter here - probably
with pharmacist advice.  A situation which would not put any restrictions on
its use in under twos, though I sure there is a label warning about seeking
'doctors' advice as well.

I used to give my kids Vallergan (trimeprazine) up to 4mg/kg when they were
being undiagnosably ratty 2 year olds.

Used to find the combination of trimeprazine PO 1.5 hours pior to the
administration of 1mg/kg IM of pethidine (meperidine) was a great sedative.
Wait 0.5 hour for the cocktail to work.

I once managed to pull of a whole bunch of 'pubic' lice from the eyelashes
of a 1 year old that way.  Kid just stared at me. Father had taken a recent
trip to Bangkok and brought the beasties home with him to the family.

Greg

Dr Greg Winterflood  BA MBBS DA DRCOG
Director Emergency Department
Alice Springs Hospital

Private PO Box 1635
Alice Springs
Northern Territory
Australia  0871

Hospital Fax    +61 (0)8 8951 7988
Hospital Phone  +61 (0)8 8951 7777
Home Fax        +61 (0)8 8955 5523
Mobile          +61 (0)4 1788 4206
Email           [log in to unmask]
Amateur Radio   VK8KMD
LandRover Defender Licence Plate - TJILPI
Dog's Name Maximillian Schnauzer

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: