Novial had merely been a name for me untill I saw some books that Valter
Ahstedt had and spoke with him about his compromice grammar. Then I saw
somewhere on UseNet that there was a group reviving Novial.

Without too much insight in the matter I had the feeling that Novial were
the answer to the idea of a schematic language using principally known
morphemes in the Language. In the same spirit I tried to look at
Occidental.

These languages have a tremendous potential, but I feel that their users
did not - for lots of reasons - manage to put it into practice.

It is obvious that studying a language up to a workable level is a
tremendous job, so I think it is quite natural that you have a certain
emotional relationship to the ones that you have learnt and know reasonably
well. But on the other hand I think that a language that someone else is
suggesting for me to study must really be IT to make me  invest the energy
necessary.

In addition, as most of the languages are built on a Western Lanaguages
vocabulary I generally have no problem in understanding them.

If IALA did its work in one way that does not necessarily mean that every
one has got to do the same. On the other hand it might have been an idea to
send questionaires to a lot of people to see how they reacted on the
proposed forms of Novial. On the other hand, what has been has been and I
think everybody should concentrate on what to do now.

To me, Interlingua is a very good alternative to English. This does  not
mean that I am not interested in other suggestions. But as long as it
works...

Kjell [log in to unmask]
Kjell Rehnstroem
Vaenortsgatan 87