From Leo Moser

Somehow the AUXLANG mail listing system had dropped
me to a "receive no mail" status. I've set delivery back up.

There follows an excerpt from a mail group:

>  Paul O Bartlett wrote:
>
>  > On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Crash Knorr wrote (small excerpt):
>  > > Has there ever been any attempt to make a truly world-wide
>  > > artificial
>  > > language, which takes its elements from all (well, hundreds at
>  > > least) languages of the world?
>  >
>  >     I did not requote your message in detail.  However, I suspect that
>  > a language drawing from most of the language characteristics of the
>  > world would be so complicated and unwieldy as to be unworkable in
>  > practice.  (However, that is an off-the-cuff surmise which I admit I
>  > cannot back up empirically.)  Nevertheless, there have been attempts
>  > to build auxiliary languages based on more than just the
>  > Romance/Germanic (with maybe a little Slavic) languages of Europe.
>  >  A fellow named Leo
>  > Moser is working on a project he calls Bahasan.  However, he has not
>  > surfaced on one of the auxiliary language lists lately, so I don't
>  > know  what the status is, and I don't know of any web page.
>  > Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
>  > Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
>  > Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
>  > Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart

   Leo Moser reports:

  Project Bahasan is a vocabulary project. It continues to progress.
  Perhaps two hundred languages have been scanned; it is difficult
  to get the appropriate data on many of the smalller ones, however.

  The search for wordwide vocabulary does not lead to results as
  exotic as depicted above, since often the common terms end up
  quite familiar to us as well.

  I have not tried to mix all possible grammatical systems in any way.
  Consistency and ease of learning requires pattern fitting; there are
  patterns out there. Best to pick one that is documented as successful.

  At some point this effort will, hopefully, appear in a larger context.
  Work on this keeps me from being very active in discussion groups
  and the like.

               Sorry.

  Regards to all,

  Leo J. Moser