Ray Brown wrote:

>I would NOT have you use an idiom in inter-cultural communication, whether
>the idiom is questionable or not.  To do so shows poor communication skills
>IMO.

I agree in theory. The problem is that most people use idioms without thinking
about it.

I remember being in Germany once and chatting on a train with a German family.
I was thinking "I had to..." (I forget what I was trying to say I'd had to do)
and started "Ich hatte..." then was brought to my senses after I'd already
let "hatte" slip through my lips.

As we recall recently, the phrase "take the liberty to" which was used in
the recent multilingual example is correct English AND correct Swedish (and
probably correct in some other languages), but is not correct Esperanto.

                                Bruce R. Gilson
                                IRC: EZ-as-pi