> ...  I see an auxlang az a tool
>for getting the required message across to the other person(s). I do not see an auxlang
>being able to say everything on every subject. To me, when a language, auxlang or not,
>goes beyond basic communication needs, then it is going in the direction of a
>"replacement" language...

Yes there is a major difference here. But there is still a distinction between
a "replacement" language as _I_ would use the term and this.

To me, a replacement language means the same as what (with currencies) they are
talking about the Euro for in the EU. There will be no more francs, lire, or
marks, only Euros. I would hate to see this happen with language, but it
_almost_ has with Irish; the number of Irish people whose first language is
Irish is very small.

But if all I can do in an auxlang is basic communication, it hasn't helped me
much. Sure, I could have used something like this once when I was in Japan and
I needed to find the train that would take me downtown from Shin-Osaka station.
But once I was settled in my hotel room, if I really wanted to _do_ anything,
it seems that I would have had to learn Japanese, not (even if anyone spoke it)
an auxlang of the type you envision. Because I would want to say things you
couldn't.

>> Not a replacement language. I still use English to anyone I can reach in Eng-
>> lish. The auxlang is used to people who cannot understand English, or cannot
>> understand it as well as they can the auxlang.

>Yes, but at this time, how many know your auxlang, much less any other?

I understand your point. But this is only one point in time. Hopefully, GN or
some rival of it will be learned by a significant number of people. Esperan-
tists believe theirs already has been; however I doubt I could easily find an
Esperantist if I were lost in Osaka or Budapest, so I think this is not so.
(Though being lost in a strange city might be, as I expressed above, the one
place where your kind of auxlang would be of use.) But more to the point, if
I went somewhere with the purpose of conducting business or attending a meeting
where lectures were given, I would need a complete language, not a basic one.

                                Bruce R. Gilson
                                IRC: EZ-as-pi