Dear List member,

In a term baby, without underlying disease who developes hperbilirubinemia,
How long after the bilirubin rises above 30 does kernicterus occur?

If a baby presents to the ED appearing markedly jaundiced, What is a
reasonable time interval for the parents to wait for the lab results ? What
would you do in the interim? If the level returned 2 hours later > 30 ,what
would you do then?

Would you start phototherapy in such a baby, pending the transfusion?
What about IV fluids ?
How much of a delay is expected prior to instituting the double exchange
transfusion?
What about Phenobarbital?

Please respond to me privately, so that we don't burden the entire list with

Thank you,

Martin Herman

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: