On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Kevin Kowaleski wrote:
Kevin and others,
        If you want help on this I can offer you substantive assistance,
please contact me directly.  AAEM is aggressively fighting these issues
and has made signifcant strides.
        Bob McNamara

> I am curious to find out how many of you my colleagues are under an
> arrangement whereby you work as an independent contractor for a company
> that contracts with your hospital to hire ED physicians (a so-called
> "contract management group").  Such companies are widespread in adult
> emergency medicine.  HCFA has decided to enforce a previously written
> law that will require these companies to radically alter their Medicare
> (and predictably Medicaid to follow later) billing practices such that
> what they collect on behalf of each individual physician must be
> accounted for to that physician, theoretically giving the physician
> control over these monies.  This may cause problems for these companies,
> since they traditionally have retained 25-45+% of the physician
> billings, and physicians may be uncooperative with parting with such
> large amounts of money voluntarily.
>
> The contract management group I have worked under, however, has demanded
> each physician to promptly sign an agreement setting up a sham
> individual bank account.  Each physician's billings will be paid into
> their account, but the company will have sole control over the
> disposition of the account, i.e., they will empty the account entirely
> each business day, and the physician will not even have knowledge of the
> activity of the account (until an annual statement is required to be
> provided for tax purposes).  When I raised concerns about the legality
> of this arrangement and circulated a memo to my fellow ED physicians
> suggesting we meet and decide our response to this demand, my position
> in the hospital ED was promptly "terminated" by the contract management
> group via a telephone call.  Ouch!
>
> Is my situation unique in pediatric emergency medicine or have others
> had to deal with this, too?
>
> Kevin Kowaleski, MD
> San Antonio

> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

Robert McNamara,MD,FAAEM
Program Director, Emergency Medicine
Allegheny University Hospitals-MCP Division
3300 Henry Ave  Phila,PA 19129
Phone 215-842-6548
Fax   215-843-5121

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: