Skribis Kjell REHNSTROM:

> As long as I have been engaged in artificial languages, beginning with
> Esperanto, there have been discussions about using "the Language" in the UN
> and now in the EU. Mario Pei suggested in his book "A World Language and
> How to Achieve It" that an international commission under the UN should be
> set up with directives to select a language to be The International
> Language.
>
> One could ask whether IALA had not done just that.

One could ask. The answer would be a resounding "no!"

IALA was a privately (very privately) funded organization, operating
without mandate from any intergovernmental organization, long before
the UN and EU came into being. IALA did _not_ select a language to be
The International Language; Gode stated, more than once, that he did
not even believe in the concept of "The International Language". And,
presented as an International Language, Interlingua became merely
another candidate in an already crowded field. So, irrespective of
the qualities of Interlingua itself, IALA did not satisfy the
criteria that Pei set forth.

> The bottomline being that I don't believe in an international commission. I
> believe in use.

Yes. Vi do estas "desubisto". Bonege!
--Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/