On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Bruce R. Gilson wrote (excerpt):

> Bob, there are two different philosophies here. One group, which Paul Bartlett
> has been the greatest spokesman for, but which your post makes you clearly
> part of, says, "get something GOOD ENOUGH and push it." The other group, which
> includes me, says "Make it as good as you can BEFORE you try to sell it to
> the world." There is no common ground.

    Indeed, Bruce, there is no common ground.  I maintain that "as good
as you can" is an impossible goal in practice simply because there are
as many "as good as you cans" as there are people.  Even "asymptotic
perfection" is a vain and fruitless dream simply because everybody is
pulling in a different direction.  One person's perfection is another's
fatal flaw.  However, you have characterised me well: "get something
GOOD ENOUGH and push it."  Precisely.  "Good enough" is as good as we
will ever get.  "As good as you can" is a will o' the wisp.

Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart