Quoth Robert J. Petry:
> Don Blaheta wrote:
> > Quoth Robert J. Petry:
> > > How can one really perfect something they are not using on a daily
> > > basis? I don't think the analyzing should stop, not at all.
> >
> > Agreed!  I try to write or translate in Novial fairly frequently... and
> > I try to use different varieties as well.  I've been known to write in
> > both N30 and N98, and I make occasional excursions into James' as well.
>
> Excellent, I applaud that. But, James already knows it. How many
> people outside the Novial lists do you get involved. Out in the world
> where we want to take this material. Or, are we just learning for
> ourselves. Surely, there is a greater purpose behind these languages
> than personal study?

You asked how one can perfect something they are not using on a daily
basis; I responded that I was perfecting something by using it on a
daily basis.  The fact that _I_ use it does not imply that I consider it
ready for other people to use (yet).

> Anyway, I again repeat, I am all for what you and others are doing.
> But I see "eight" horses pulling the Novial waggon in eight different
> directions, and I'm only interested in one direction. Can you imagine
> the new student signing up at your university wanting to enroll in the
> Novial Language class? Today, you begin class, tomorrow James comes in
> with his version, then the next day, Marcos, then the next day..... I
> don't want to be that student.

My personal vision (which, admittedly, differs from several others' in
the group) is that each of the three (or possibly four) Novialides will
be developed, and used by their creators on the NOVIAL list; and then,
as we see which parts of the different langs work better than others, we
can modify our respective languages to converge to a much better version
than we could possibly develop simply through cogitation.

And then, we will teach it to other people.

--
-=-Don [log in to unmask]<http://www.cs.brown.edu/~dpb/>-=-
Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?