Jay Bowks wrote:

> d: Robert J. Petry <[log in to unmask]>
> >Hope the comparison has helped in some way with the Novial
> question.
> >
> >Mil gra,
> >Bob
> >
> Well, I for one enjoyed seeing Novial and Occidental
> side by side and commented on an at sight readability
> basis. Very nicely done and enlightening, Bob. I hope
> that this feedback may motivate some thinking on the
> Auxlang list about the recognition of vocabulary from
> an international word pool. ;-)

One of the questions before was why Occidental used cc instead of
c or k. After reading some more in the magazines, I believe the
basic reason was that it would break de Wahl's guideline to use
"internationally recognizeable" words. In building Occidental he
used "international words from the occidental languages. They
were: English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German,
Russian, etc. So, the question would be, which form is most used
in all these languages, versus, let's change the spelling to suit
our reasons. This may not be the total answer, but I believe it
is much of the reason.

And, I found these quotes that I enjoyed. Hope you do to.

The Basis of Occidental

Occidental is not an artificial language: it does not contain a
single invented word. The author has let the language construct
itself. Always he has admitted words used by the majority without
considering their nationality. The Occidental dictionaries could
all disappear, and yet, by applying the principle of the maximum
internationality, be restored identically.

[skipped some info to save space & time.]

The Extraordinary Scope of Occidental.

Occidental is not simply a theoretical project; it has users in
numerous countries. Its scope is much vaster than that of
Esperanto, since it can be understood by any educated person
while Esperanto can only be understood by its initiates. You can
write in Occidental toany country, to people who have never
learnt Occidental and who are not even aware of its existence:
you will be understood without difficulty. It has been done very
often.

An Occidental text is an agreeable surprise because the words in
it preserve their natural aspect and are not deformed or made
unrecognisable as in Esperanto. And yet the grammar of Occidental
is easier than that of Esperanto, even for Orientals. E. de Wahl
achieved this result after 40 years' study of the European
vocabulary and comparison of grammars.

Occidental Grammar...

is so simple that it can be written on one page. It can be learnt
in a few hours. The vocabulary can be learnt in a few days,
because it is composed entirely of internationl words which an
educated man would know already.

The Documents of lThe Swiss Association

... the Swiss Association for Occidental has therefore had
compiled, by persons of proven competence, more than 200
linguistic documents in 8 languages (English, French, Italian,
Spanish, German, Ido, Esperanto, and Occidental) in which every
aspect of the problem is considered.

Then it says, send a postcard to... only, they ain't there no
more. :-(

Al l sue,
Bob

Even if some don't think the above was achieved, those are still
high standards for any lin to achieve, don't you think?