    This afternoon I had the opportunity to look at the second (1958)
and third (1966) editions of Barnett Russell's Suma.  The third was a
little better done, although he partially dropped one grammatical point
between the two editions that I think could have profitably been kept.

    On the whole I had a more or less favorable impression.  It very
vaguely reminded me, loosely speaking, of a sort of Polynesian pidgin
in character.  Most words are CVCV, with a few VCV, and relatively
"simple" phonemes, so it should not be difficult for many people to
pronounce.  Most (not quite all) words are ad hoc, with some schematic
pairing for mnemonicity, so the vocabulary should be about equally
"fair" for all.  I thought the grammar was resonable, and not just a
relexification of English.  Suma is strictly isolating.

    The basic vocabulary has about 1000 words with some lexical "phrase
building."  I didn't spend enough time with it to see whether I thought
the vocabulary was comprehensive enough.  The presentation might have
been a little more professional, but generally I thought it was
respectable as a conIAL.

    Any other opinions?

Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart