    This afternoon I also came across one rather weird (in my
estimation) conIAL: Oz.  Charles Milton Elam: The Case for an A Priori
Language (Cincinnati, Open Sesame Press, 1932).  I will here just
reproduce a few samples.  Note that upper- and lower-case letters may
represent different sounds.  Also note that it abounds in consonant
clusters.  'Q' is a vowel.

hEv az ansAslUt iftlEplezlais kek anpAtpyaup, ek iftEgtOg adpad astlaup.
    Because the wicked do not receive their just deserts immediately,
    they grow bold in transgression.

ep ipIv adgIv az afbQt.
    I came to the city.
ep ipIv adglIv az afblQt.
    I came from the country.
ep iplIv adgIv az afblQt.
    I went to the country.
ep iplIv adglIv az afbQt.
    I went from the city.
ep iptIv adIf az afbQt.
    I entered the city
ep iptIv adlIf az afbQt.
    I departed from the city.

    Elam wrote in the introduction:

      A misapprehension under which the opponents of the _a_priori_
      method of language construction labor is that an _a_priori_
      language can be constructed only on the principles of Bishop
      Wilkins' Real Character or Foster's Ro.  An examination of this
      book will thoroughly demonstrate the fallacy of this assumption.

    Oz did not have a fully worked out vocabulary.  It was to be based
on Roget's Thesaurus, and a table gave some general assignments to Roget
categories without details.  Somehow, just somehow, I got the idea that
Oz might not catch on too well. :-)  In printed form, it struck me as
an explosion in a typesetting shop.  Elam himself admitted that in
Roman type it might appear "uncouth," so he provided an entirely new
script and typeface for it.

Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart