Is it possible to editorialize on occasion on this list. I
suppose so, since I seem to see posts that are close to that.
Where do we stand?
Sounds like a simple question.
In the field of auxlangs one stands for Esp., one for Ido, one
for Novial, One for RLR, One for IALA, One for Eurolang, One for
Lsf, etc. And, there we stand. One for Esp., One for Ido, One for
Novial, One for RLR, One for IALA, One for Eurolang, One for
LsF., etc.
We all throw out our point FOR our language, the other throws out
their point AGAINST our language and a point FOR theirs, and
NEVER the twain shall meet.And, round and round the circle it
goes.
If I throw out a point positive about why RLR actually does work,
another says, NO IT DOESN'T because I don't like it doing it that
way.
If a Novialist says, Novial does it right here, the other says NO
IT DOESN'T, by mine DOES it this way, and that is the way I like
it.
And, none of the above ever gets beyond the OPPOSITES. Except,
Esperanto seems to keep chugging along, good or bad, it keeps
chugging along, and I don't even personally like it. Never did,
don't know if I ever will. BUT, so what? I am only one person.
Reading Occidental today all day long hit me with a thought I
found very interesting and actually dumbfounding. Especially
since I had NEVER read any Occidental material [except quotes
like Pei's books] before two or three weeks ago. And, I haven't
even found an English/Occidental grammar to read yet!!!! So, I
don't even "know" the grammar, and I'm reading it.  These writers
weren't English or American. de Wahl did not invent an
English/American pseudo language. AND, I can read the thing! And,
Occidental is criticised for "NOT" working according to the rules
of ???? except for one major fact, IT WORKS WHEN USED. So does
Esp., Ido, Novial, etc. etc. The point is, WHEN USED.
RLR was invented by a "horrible old British fellow" so it
automatically must be bad, no matter how it works. "It's
ENGLISH". Except for one thing, IT WORKS WHEN USED! In spite of
those who think they don't like it.

What's the point? I have come to the opinion that all these
arguments against one language or another are FRUITLESS,
NONSENSICAL, and downright useless. They are only individual
opinions, including mine, and have not one whit to do with
whether the language actually works when used!!!!!

When I use and work with Occidental, it does what it claims, for
me. I can read and understand it, and it comes from writers whose
native languages were NOT English! Strange? If it doesn't work,
how come I can understand it?
When I use and work with RLR it does what it claims, for me. I
can read and understand it when others say it can't won't and
couldn't work as it is claimed.
Believe it or not, the same is true when I spend some time with
IDO, or NOVIAL, or IALA! This shouldn't be. Why, these languages
aren't good enough to communicate across international language
barriers. I do have trouble reading and understanding Esperanto.
But, with just a little effort, IF I WANTED TO, IT ALSO WORKS
WHEN USED, even by me.

So, isn't it time to get on with the doing, and using all of them
if necessary, until one settles out for all of us, or until a
"combined" product naturally develops from all of these 88%
similar languages?????????

These OPPOSITE points of view will go on for ever, because they
basically are nothing more than philosophically arguing over how
many teeth a horse has without looking at a horse and counting
the teeth.

Until some kind of unified effort is done, none of these projects
will ever become more than a puff of wind on the mass of
humanity.

Any body want to throw in the OPPOSITE? Because the OPPOSITE of
what I have said means more accomplishment of the status quo. Who
will stand up and say, let's get on with it? Dozens will get on
with ultimately proving the status quo. Who will bend with the
breeze and the snow on the branch like Judo philosophy teaches?
Or shall interlinguists keep on kicking one another to pieces
while all these wonderful languages wither on the vine and just
sit there waiting to BE USED, because they ALL work WHEN USED?

Pretty glum, huh?

Shall we continue together progressing in reverse? I hope not.

Al l sue,
Bob